Select your language from the drop-down list below and
Read Me First
This update resolves the "Remote Registry Access
Authentication" vulnerability in Windows NT 4.0. Installing
this update prevents a malicious user from remotely accessing
your computer's registry and causing Windows NT 4.0 to fail.
This vulnerability could only be exploited under very specific
conditions, and the malicious user would need to have an
authorized account and password for remote logon to your
For more information on this update, please read Microsoft
Security Bulletin MS00-040.
How to download and install
save your work and close all open programs before
- Select your language from the drop-down list above.
- Click Next.
- On the following page, click Download Now.
- Do one of the following:
- To start the installation immediately, select Run
this Program from its Current Location.
- To copy the download to your computer for installation
at a later time, select Save this Program to Disk.
- Click OK.
How to use
Restart your computer to complete the
How to uninstall
- Click Start, point to Settings and click
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- Select Windows 4.0 Hotfix [See Q264684 for more
information] and click Add/Remove to uninstall.