Security Update, October 7, 2000
Select your language from the drop-down list below and
Read Me First
This update resolves the "Multiple LPC and LPC Ports"
security vulnerability in Windows NT® 4.0. Local Procedure
Call (LPC) is a message-passing service provided by Windows NT
4.0. LPC ports are channels within LPC that allow threads (a
series of messages that have been posted as replies to each
other) within a communication process to coordinate LPC
requests. Windows NT 4.0 is unable to handle unexpected LPCs
properly. If a malicious user makes process requests in an
invalid order, or uses invalid parameters, it could cause your
computer to fail or permit a malicious user to impersonate
your privileges and eavesdrop. Download now to prevent a
malicious user from causing your computer to fail,
impersonating your privileges, or causing the client or server
to fail by posing as the client or server and sending random
For more information, please read Microsoft Security
System RequirementsThis update applies to:
- Windows NT 4.0 Workstation
- Windows NT 4.0 Server
- Windows NT 4.0 Server, Enterprise Edition
- Windows NT 4.0 Server, Terminal Server Edition
How to download and install
- Select your language from the drop-down list above.
- Click Next.
- On the following page, click Download Now.
- Do one of the following:
- To start the installation immediately, select Run
this Program from its Current Location.
- To copy the download to your computer for installation
at a later time, select Save this Program to Disk.
- Click OK.
How to useYou don't need to do anything after
installing this item.
How to uninstall
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then
click Control Panel.
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- Select Windows 4.0 Hotfix [See Q266433 for more
information] and click Add/Remove to uninstall.