Select your language from the drop-down list below and
Read Me First
This update resolves the "Relative Shell Path" security
vulnerability in Windows NT® 4.0. Under certain conditions,
this vulnerability allows a malicious user, who has physical
access to a computer, to alter the code in the executable file
Explore.exe. This file provides the Windows Shell
functionality of the desktop, and a change in the code could
alter the desktop functionality. If this occurs, the code
substitution runs automatically for any subsequent user.
Download now to prevent a malicious user from altering the
functionality of your desktop.
This vulnerability exists because Explore.exe is specified
by a relative path, rather than an absolute path, in the
registry key that Windows consults during startup. If it is
placed in a certain location, the substitute version of the
executable file is loaded when the computer starts.
For more information about this vulnerability, please read
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS00-052.
System RequirementsThis update applies to:
- Windows NT 4.0 Workstation
- Windows NT 4.0 Server
- Windows NT 4.0 Server, Enterprise Edition
How to download and install
Note This update applies
only to Intel systems. Alpha users, please download the Alpha
version of this update. (This is available in English
- Select your language from the drop-down list above.
- Click Next.
- On the following page, click Download Now.
- Do one of the following:
- To start the installation immediately, select Run
this Program from its Current Location.
- To copy the download to your computer for installation
at a later time, select Save this Program to Disk.
- Click OK.
How to use
Restart your computer to complete the installation.
How to uninstall
- Click Start, point to Settings and click
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- Select Windows NT 4.0 Hotfix [See Q269049 for more
information] and click Add/Remove to uninstall.