Select your language from the drop-down list below and
Read Me First
This update resolves the "NetBIOS Name Server Protocol
Spoofing" security vulnerability in some Windows-based
networks. Installing this update will prevent a malicious user
from misusing the Name Conflict and Name Release mechanisms
that are part of Windows Internet Name Service (WINS). If this
vulnerability is exploited, Windows 2000 and Windows NT® 4.0
computers would be unable to register a name on the network,
or would lose their current name registration, making these
computers unavailable as network resources.
For more information on this vulnerability, please read
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS00-047.
This update applies to the following versions of Windows NT
4.0 with Service Pack 4 or higher:
- Windows NT 4.0 Workstation
- Windows NT 4.0 Server
- Windows NT 4.0 Server, Enterprise Edition
How to download and install
save your work and close all open programs before installing.
- Select your language from the drop-down list above.
- Click Next.
- Click Download Now.
- Follow the instructions on your screen.
How to use
Please restart your computer to complete the install.
How to uninstall
- Click Start, point to Settings and click
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- Select Windows 4.0 Hotfix [See Q269239 for more
information] and click Add/Remove to uninstall.