Security Update, November 3, 2000
Select your language from the drop-down list below, and
Read Me First
This update resolves the "NetMon Protocol Parsing" security
vulnerability in Windows NT® 4.0, and Systems Management
Server (SMS). Network Monitor (NetMon) is an administrative
tool that is used to monitor network traffic. If malformed
data is sent over a network that an administrator is
monitoring, it could overrun the buffer (a temporary data
storage area on your computer) and either cause the NetMon to
fail, or cause code of the sender’s choice to run on the
computer that is under the administrator's control. Download
now to prevent a malicious user from causing your computer's
buffer to overflow.
For more information about this vulnerability, please read
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS00-083.
System Requirements This update applies to:
- Windows NT 4.0 Server
- Windows NT 4.0 Server, Terminal Server Edition
- Windows NT 4.0 Server, Enterprise Edition
- Systems Management Server 1.2 Service Pack 4.
- Systems Management Server 2.0
How to download and install
- Select your language from the drop-down list above.
- Click Next.
- On the following page, select the update that is
appropriate for your computer, and click Download
- Do one of the following:
- To start the installation immediately, select Run
this Program from its Current Location.
- To copy the download to your computer for installation
at a later time, select Save this Program to Disk.
- Click OK.
How to use
Restart your computer to complete the
How to uninstall
Note Uninstall is not available for versions
of this update that apply to SMS 1.2 or SMS 2.0.
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then
click Control Panel.
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- Select Windows 4.0 Hotfix [See Q274835 for more
information] and click Add/Remove to uninstall.