Select your language from the drop-down list below, and
Read Me First
This update resolves the "NTLMSSP Privilege Elevation"
security vulnerability present in Windows NT® 4.0, and is
discussed in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-008. Download
now to prevent a malicious user from gaining administrative
access to your computer.
This vulnerability exists because the NTLM Security Support
Provider (NTLMSSP), which handles authentication requests
associated with the NTLM Protocol, allows local user accounts
to initiate a specially formed request to execute code by
using LocalSystem security privileges. (These security
privileges are equal to or greater than those of a local
administrator account.) With these privileges, a malicious
user with the ability to log on to a computer by using valid
user credentials could exploit the vulnerability and send a
request to the NTLMSSP that contains specially formatted
commands to gain complete control over the computer.
For more information about this vulnerability, please read
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-008.
This update applies to:
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Workstation
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Server
- Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Server, Enterprise Edition
How to download and install
- Select your language from the drop-down list above.
- Click Next.
- On the following page, click Download Now.
- Do one of the following:
- To start the installation immediately, select Run
this Program from its Current Location.
- To copy the download to your computer for installation
at a later time, select Save this Program to Disk.
- Click OK.
How to use
Restart your computer to complete the installation.
How to uninstall
- Click Start, point to Settings and click
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- Select Windows NT 4.0 Hotfix (Pre-SP7) [See Q280119
for more information], and click Add/Remove to