Select your language from the drop-down list below and
Read Me First
This update resolves the "Malformed PPTP Packet Stream"
security vulnerability in Windows NT® 4.0, and is discussed in
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-009. Download now to prevent
a malicious user from causing your server to stop responding
The Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP) is a network
service through which a local area network (LAN) connects to
the Internet. The PPTP service in Windows NT 4.0 incorrectly
processes a particular type of data packet. If a large number
of specifically malformed data packets are sent to an affected
server, it can exhaust the server's memory and cause the
server to stop responding or fail. If this occurs, any PPTP
sessions in progress are lost.
For more information about this issue, read Microsoft
Security Bulletin MS01-009.
This update applies to Windows NT 4.0.
How to download and install
- Select your language from the drop-down list above.
- Click Next.
- On the following page, click Download Now.
- Do one of the following:
- To start the installation immediately, select Run
this Program from its Current Location.
- To copy the download to your computer for installation
at a later time, select Save this Program to Disk.
- Click OK.
How to use
Restart your computer to complete the installation.
How to uninstall
- Click Start, point to Settings and click
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- Select Windows NT 4.0 Hotfix [See Q283001 for more
information], and click Add/Remove to uninstall.