Read Me First
This update resolves the "HyperTerminal Buffer Overflow" security vulnerability in Windows 2000. If you receive and open an HTML e-mail message that contains a particularly malformed Web address (URL), the URL can be used to exploit this vulnerability and run arbitrary code on your computer.
Note Although HyperTerminal ships as part of several Microsoft products, it was developed by Hilgraeve, Inc. Additional information on the vulnerability and a patch for their full version product, HyperTerminal Private Edition, is available from the Hilgraeve Web site, at http://www.hilgraeve.com.
For more information about these vulnerabilities, please see Microsoft Security Bulletin MS00-079.
This update applies to Windows 2000.
How to download and install
- Select your language from the drop-down list above.
- Click Next.
- On the following page, click Download Now.
- Do one of the following:
- To start the installation immediately, select Run this Program from its Current Location.
- To copy the download to your computer for installation at a later time, select Save this Program to Disk.
- Click OK.
How to uninstall
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Change/Remove Programs.
- Select Windows 2000 Hotfix (Pre-Sp2) [See Q276471 for more information] and click Change/Remove to uninstall.