Read Me First
This update addresses the "Predicatable Name Pipes Could Enable Privilege Elevation via Telnet" security vulnerability in the Windows 2000 Telnet service that is discussed in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-031. Download now to prevent a malicious user from launching programs on your computer, gaining access to your network, or initiating a denial of service attack against your computer.
This update addresses these issues:
- Two vulnerabilities that could enable an attacker to
gain privileges on a Telnet server.
- Four vulnerabilities that could be used to disrupt
- One vulnerability that could make it easier for an attacker to gain access to a poorly configured network via the Telnet service.
For more information about this vulnerability, read Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-031. (This site is in English.)
This update applies to Windows 2000 computers running
the Telnet service.
How to download and install
- Select your language from the drop-down list at the top
of the page.
- Click Go.
- Click Security Update.
- Do one of the following:
- To start the installation immediately, click Run this program from its current location.
- To copy the download to your computer for installation at a later time, click Save this program to disk.
- Click OK.
How to use
You don't need to do anything after installing this item.
How to uninstall
- Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
- Select Windows 2000 Hotfix (Pre SP3) [See Q299553 for more information], and then click Change/Remove to uninstall.